Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sometimes I Could Really Use a Coach

Couldn't we all, right? For the most part, I'm pretty good at coaching myself, or at least I think I am. In all fairness, I have to give a great deal of credit to Scott Jurek. Scott has never been my coach, but I've learned a lot from him about how to train. I used to just go out and run. That's fine to a degree, but at some point, if you want to go to the next level, you need not only run, you must TRAIN. So train I do and sometimes foolishly. In the case of this past week (recovery week), I got sucked into a 4 hour run on Saturday. On top of that, my new gym just opened, and it's such a nice facility I've been sucked into some extra workouts there. Needless to say, my so called "recovery" week ended up being the second biggest week of this past block. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. I know better, but it's just so fun to get after it. Well it's early in the year, and even my big weeks are pretty tame compared to what lies down the road. So a little extra in the early going probably isn't going to hinder too much. At least with a coach, I'd have someone to answer to every now and then.

3 comments:

Michael Havrda said...

Hopefully it wasn't our run at Chuckanut that caused you to blow your recovery week. Also, I'd say you've been doing quite well without a coach so I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you could inform Andrea of your goal mileage for the week and have her "yell" at you if you go over. What's this new gym you mentioned?

Brian Morrison said...

Michael, our run didn't blow the recovery week. It was the following week. The new gym is the LA Fitness Signature Club in Ballard.

Anonymous said...

I don't like to "yell" at my hubby.